A Young Carer is a child under 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member or friend who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or addiction problem. Children may engage in:
- Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping)
- Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs)
- Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs)
- Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions)
- Managing medication
- Looking after younger siblings
- Helping someone communicate
Crown Wood can support young carers. If you, or a family member, need support please contact Mrs Ruck or Mrs Winchcombe. All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Parents & children can contact us using the Young Carers Message Box in the school library.
Roles and Responsibilities
Miss Caroline Winchcombe – Young Carers School Strategic Lead
Mrs Sandra Ruck – Young Carers School Operational Lead
Mrs Tracy Kirkwood - Nurture Support
Mrs Jaime Harding – Nurture Support
Mrs Bridgett Beckett – Nurture Support
Support offered at Crown Wood
Support we can offer Young Carers and their families in school is:
- A flexible approach for homework deadlines.
- Use of timeout card if upset or angry.
- Managing transition to secondary school.
- Having a flexible approach to parents’ evening and meeting appointment times.
- Referral to School Nursing Team if necessary.
- We work with outside agencies to help support families.
Further Help & Support
Further information which may help you and your family access further support such as trips and activities can be found via the following :
Whole School Commitment for Young Carers
Carers Trust 32–36 Loman Street London SE1 0EH Tel: 0844 800 4361. Fax: 0844 800 4362 Email: email@example.com
- professionals.carers.org facebook.com/CarersTrust
The Children’s Society Unit 4, Calford House Wessex Business Park Wessex Way Colden Common SO21 1WP Tel: 01962 711 511. Fax: 01962 711 512 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Crown Wood Primary School is committed to meeting the needs of young carers so that they can attend and enjoy school in the same way as other pupils/students and achieve their potential.
Mrs Winchcombe is the designated Young Carers’ School Lead and Mrs Ruck is the School Operational Lead with responsibility for young carers and their families. Pupils and families are aware of the identity of these leads and can find further information on the school noticeboard and in newsletters. Their role is to develop and maintain the support for Young Carers at Crown Wood, including identification and support for their families.
The school only shares information with professionals and agencies on a need to know basis in order to support pupils and their families.
We welcome feedback and ideas from Young Carers and their families to shape and improve our support.
The school has an effective referral system and strong partnership in place with relevant external agencies, including the school nursing team and the local young carers’ service.