Crown Wood Primary

Crown Wood
Primary School

Privacy Notice

This privacy notice explains how we use information about your child and what we do with it.  The information is called ‘personal data’ or ‘personal information’.

Parents/carers are asked to read this notice before completing the school’s student registration form.

Who we are

You already know that your school is called Crown Wood Primary School and it is part of the Greenshaw Learning Trust and we have to tell you that the Greenshaw Learning Trust is the organisation which is in charge of your personal information. This means that the Greenshaw Learning Trust is called the Data Controller.

The postal address of the Greenshaw Learning Trust is:  Grennell Road, Sutton SM1 3DY

Alternatively you can email us at

If you want to discuss, correct or update your personal information you should contact the school directly. You can leave a letter at reception or send one by post to:

Mrs Stacy Porter, Administrative Officer, Crown Wood Primary School, Opladen Way, Bracknell RG12 0PE (Tel:  01344 485448). 

How we use student information

The Greenshaw Learning Trust collect and hold personal information relating to children and may also receive information about them from their previous school/nursery, local authority and / or the Department for Education (DfE). We use this personal data to: 

  • support learning
  • monitor and report on children’s progress
  • provide appropriate care for children; and
  • assess the quality of our services
  • to comply with the law about sharing personal data
  • send emails and text messages to parents via a Communication Management Platform

 This information will include contact details, national curriculum assessment results, attendance information, any exclusion information, which school children attend after they leave us and personal characteristics such as ethnic group, any special educational needs as well as relevant medical information.  We will also use photographs of children in accordance with the permissions indicated by you on the student registration form. 

The use of your information for these purposes is lawful for the following reasons:

  • The Greenshaw Learning Trust is under a legal obligation to collect the information or the information is necessary for us to meet legal requirements imposed upon us such as our duty to safeguard students.
  • It is necessary for us to hold and use your information for the purposes of our functions in providing schooling and so we can look after our students. This is a function which is in the public interest because everybody needs to have an education. This means we have a real and proper reasons to use your information.
  • We will not usually need your consent to use your information. However, if at any time it appears to us that we would like to use your personal data in a way which means that we would need your consent then we will explain to you what we want to do and ask you for consent. This is most likely to be where we are involved in activities which are not really part of our job as a Trust but we are involved because we think it would benefit our students. If you give your consent, you may change your mind at any time. 

When we collect personal information on our forms, we will make it clear whether there is a legal requirement for parents/carers to provide it, whether there is a legal requirement on the Trust to collect it and if there is no legal requirement then we will explain why we need it and what the consequences are if it is not provided. 

When we give your information to others

We are required, by law (under regulation 5 of the Education (Information about Individual Pupils) England Regulations 2013, to pass some information about children to the Department for Education (DfE).  This is the part of the Government which is responsible for schools. This information may, in turn, then be made available for use by the Local Authority. 

The DfE may also share information about children that we give to them, with other people or organisations. This will only take place where the law, including the law about data protection allows it. 

The National Pupil Database (NPD)

The NPD is owned and managed by the Department for Education and contains information about students in schools in England. It provides invaluable evidence on educational performance to inform independent research, as well as studies commissioned by the Department. It is held in electronic format for statistical purposes. This information is securely collected from a range of sources including schools, local authorities and awarding bodies. 

We are required by law, to provide information about our students to the DfE as part of statutory data collections such as the school census and early years’ census. Some of this information is then stored in the NPD. The law that allows this is the Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013. 

To find out more about the pupil information we share with the department, for the purpose of data collections, go to

To find out more about the NPD, go to National pupil database: user guide and supporting information - GOV.UK

The department may share information about our students from the NPD with third parties who promote the education or well-being of children in England by: 

  • conducting research or analysis
  • producing statistics
  • providing information, advice or guidance

 The Department has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of our data is maintained and there are stringent controls in place regarding access and use of the data. Decisions on whether DfE releases data to third parties are subject to a strict approval process and based on a detailed assessment of: 

  • who is requesting the data
  • the purpose for which it is required
  • the level and sensitivity of data requested: and
  • the arrangements in place to store and handle the data

To be granted access to student information, organisations must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of the data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.

For more information about the department’s data sharing process, please visit:

For information about which organisations the department has provided pupil information, (and for which project), please visit the following website:

To contact DfE:

We will take family circumstances into account, in particular where a Court has decided what information a parent is allowed to have.

We will also disclose your personal data to: 

  • Your new school if you move schools
  • Disclosures connected with SEN support
  • Assessment Tracking Software
  • School nurse
  • School Counsellor
  • CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)

 The information disclosed to these people / services may include sensitive personal information about your child. Usually this means information about your child’s health and any special educational needs or disabilities which they may have. We do this because these people need the information so that they can support you. 

Our disclosure of personal data is lawful for the following reasons:

  • The Academy Trust is under a legal obligation to disclose the information or disclosing the information is necessary for us to meet legal requirements imposed upon us such as our duty to look after children and protect them from harm.
  • It is necessary for us to disclose your information for the purposes of our functions in providing schooling. This is a function which is in the public interest.
  • We have a legitimate interest in disclosing your information because it is necessary in order to provide children with education and pastoral care and connected purposes as outlined above.
  • We will not usually need consent to disclose information. However, if at any time it appears to us that we would need consent then this will be sought before a disclosure is made.

It is in your child’s vital interests for personal information to be passed to these people or services. Before children are old enough to understand we will ask parents to consent. We will ask for your child’s consent once they reach the age of 12. This is because the law requires us to ask children if they can understand. Normally, we involve parents too.

We do not normally transfer information to a different country which is outside the European Economic Area. This would only happen if one parent lives abroad or if you move to a new school abroad. If this happens we will be very careful to make sure that it is safe to transfer your information. We will look at whether that other country has good data protection laws for example. If we cannot be sure that it is safe then we will talk to parents and make sure that you are happy for us to send information. As this is not something we normally do and we don’t know which country we might need to send information to, we cannot tell you more about it now but if we want to transfer data to a different country then we will tell you whether or not we think it is safe and why we have decided that.

How long we keep your information

We only keep information for as long as we need to or for as long as the law requires us to. Most of the information we have will be in your child’s student file. We usually keep these until their 25th birthday (or until their 35th birthday in the case where a child has a statement for educational needs) unless they move to another school in which case we send your child’s student file to their new school. We have a policy which explains how long we keep information. It is called a Records Retention Policy and can be found at

Your rights:

  • - You can ask us for a copy of the information we have about you
  • - You can ask us to correct any information we have about you if you think it is wrong
  • - You can ask us to erase information about you (although we may have good reasons why we cannot do this)
  • - You can ask us to limit what we are doing with your information
  • - You can object to what we are doing with your information
  • - You can ask us to transfer your information to another organisation in a format that makes it easy for them to use.

There is more information in our Data Protection Policy which can be found at

You can complain about what we do with your personal information. If you are not happy with our answer to your complaint then you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office:

Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number

You can download a PDF version of this Statement here.